Bishopsgate School is a co-educational independent preparatory school for pupils from ages 3-13 years old.
Deciding on the right school for your child is very important and we believe that a personal visit is invaluable. We hold an annual Open Morning in the autumn, offering a general introduction to the school. However, it is always best to see the school in action on a typical day and we welcome prospective parents and their children at any time.
Please contact our Registrar, Jayne Webster on 01784 480222 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit.
The Entry Procedure
Your child’s birth date will indicate which year group they are placed in and each academic year runs from 1st September – 31 August. This means that some of our children will be four at the beginning of the Nursery year in the Michaelmas term, and others will turn four in the following Lent or Summer term.
The only restrictions we place on entry are those of number and the need to ensure that there is a match between school and child. Our selection process is non-selective, but designed to identify pupils who are able to benefit from our balanced and well-rounded education and to make a positive contribution towards the life of the school.
Steps to Admission
- An enquiry from a prospective parent is followed by the despatch of a School prospectus.
- A visit to the School can then be arranged. Parents are given a full tour of the School when they will have the opportunity to meet staff and children.
- When a child is registered his/her name is added to the list for entry in the relevant age group and a non-refundable registration fee of £100 is paid.
- Places are usually offered in order of registration, but factors such as siblings waiting to join and the gender balance of a class will be taken into account. Where two or more pupils register at the same time for limited places, priority will be given to families already at the School. The school reserves the right to move a child to the top of a waiting list in the event of a family registering other children for whom places are immediately available.
- A deposit of £500 to confirm acceptance of the offer of a place is then requested a year before entry.
- A taster day, to sample a little of ‘life at Bishopsgate’, is arranged for any child entering Year 1 and above. As well as familiarisation with their year group, the day also includes some standardised testing in Maths and English.
- A Welcome Morning is arranged during the Summer term for all children joining Nursery to Yr 3 in September.
We take great care to ensure that children settle happily to life here and we expect all Lower School children to progress to our Upper School.
Copies of our full Admissions Policy are available from the school office upon request.